Tuesday, December 27, 2011

 

Goodbye 2011

2011 was a momentous year for me in many ways, and as this year comes to end in four more days, I'm reflecting upon the wins and losses & joys and sorrows as I usually do at this time of year.

First--the losses: Four golden-oldie friends crossed over the rainbow this year: Rick, Richard, Brian, and Joyce
. Since I have a strong spirit connection with all four, I feel them visit me from time to time. Yet they are missed! Every now and then I still get a jolt when I remember they are no longer here in this 3-D reality!

Probably the most challenging decision for me was closing down my cetacean research & education nonprofit organization which I had founded in 1993. This organization had been a huge part of my life, and many of my ideals and dreams were embedded in it.

However, it was time for me to move on, and although there was no great need to close it down, it simply felt like it was time. This 'knowing' helped assuage my grief and assisted in closure.

Second--the wins: At the tail end of last year, my longtime partner sold his business and retired. His retirement opened the door for much more travel than we had previously been able to do because of his work. And thus 2011 has been a whirlwind of travel, both in the States and abroad.

We have visited every one of his relatives & friends spread out all over the globe, and I managed to squeeze in a few of mine too.

We also visited places on my Bucket List which have been awaiting me for many a year! Assisi Italy had been on this list, and Assisi was as delightful, peaceful and inspiring as I had always imagined it to be. Ever since I saw the film, "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" a long, long time ago, I had wished to spend time in and around Assisi. Many of my Assisi photos I've placed on my Flickr site. This photo is a view from our hotel balcony in Assisi.


Since my Bucket List is a long one (as is my partner's), we have lots of travel plans scheduled for 2012. First we're heading off to Cambodia and Vietnam for 27 days. After recuperating at home here in the Islands, we then plan to travel to Panama.

One of the important phases of travel for me is the time to recuperate and process, especially when I've been to very foreign, exotic places. And there's no better place for me to r & r than our beautiful home--specifically my hammock. When the stressors of travel begin to get to me on long journeys, I daydream of my hammock and visualize myself gently rocking in it and listening to the sound of the chimes on the deck and the palm tree fronds gently clacking in the breeze. Ahhhhhhh! Truly, there is nothing quite as wondrous & healing as being home in the Islands! The Hawaiian Islands are more heavenly than any others I've ever visited, and I've been to quite a few.

However, I have high hopes for Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahiti---these islands are on my Bucket List too! :-) Maybe one of these days, I'll make it there too.

Everyone has their favorite Hawaiian Island, and each island has a different energy and response to an individual. For me, it's Mama Maui--she is warm, nurturing, and from the get-go, she wrapped her big old arms around me and gave me a home. I'm so full of gratitude for all the blessings she has brought into my life. Even with the slumping economy, highest gas in the nation and closure of so many wonderful ma & pa stores, Maui is No Ka Oi (Maui Is The Best)!

Since we'll be traveling off & on in 2012, be sure to follow me on Twitter as I'll be posting photos and updates there.

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

May 2012 bless you with great health, wisdom, joy, peace, prosperity & courage!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Long time, no see, but such life. Still, real friends are still there when showing up/meeting again :-)

I've seen a line here and there that you've been occupied with some traveling during the year yes. How wonderful!!!!!

Maybe you took over my travel plans... ha... ha... since we've not been traveling much the past year. We had a difficult situation (read: I had no income at all for about a year, but I got that sorted out now luckily)

Maui sounds like heaven to me too. One day I will make it there I hope!

I want to go to Bora Bora too. It's said by sailors that have been around the world, to be the most beautiful place on earth. You have to tell us if it's true, if or when you go there!

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

(...Many Happy Ending of 2011 and Happy New Bubbly Year 2012 cheers)
 
It's good to have some good friends in life. But balance should be there. Also have to go for picnic. Also have to enjoy life with them.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?